Dental anxiety is a major concern for millions of people in the United States.
According to a study published in the Journal of Dental Hygiene, 50% to 80% of people suffer from mild to severe dental anxiety, and 9% to 15% of them avoid going to a dentist altogether because of this.
If you are one of them, you don’t need to worry! Sedation dentistry is the solution to all of these problems.
Our dentists at Jolly Family Dental Care in Little Rock and North Little Rock, Arkansas, are board-certified in administering sedation while providing dental treatments. Our solutions can put you at ease throughout the treatment process and ensure you maintain your dental health and a bright smile.
Read on to learn what sedation dentistry is and how it can help if you have dental anxiety issues.
What Is Sedation Dentistry?
Sedation dentistry is the process of using medication to help patients relax before a dental procedure.
There are four different types of sedation used in dentistry, most of which will keep you conscious at some level, except for general anesthesia.
- General Anesthesia:This type of procedure is used for complex treatments and for severe cases of dental anxiety and will render you unconscious.
- Deep Sedation:This type of sedation will keep you on the brink of consciousness and help you not feel and remember the procedure.
- Moderate Sedation:With moderate sedation, you will be able to respond to the dentist’s commands or to stimuli but won’t feel any pain or anxiety.
- Mild Sedation:This procedure is used for mild cases of dental anxiety and will keep you awake but calm and relaxed.
Do I Need Sedation Dentistry?
Sedation dentistry is necessary for people with the following issues:
- A low threshold for pain
- Severe anxiety thinking about an upcoming dental office visit
- A gag reflex
- Sensitive teeth
- Patients requiring extensive dental work done
Being scared of going to a dental appointment is all too normal. However, that shouldn’t stop you from receiving the treatment you need to keep your teeth healthy and bright.
If you’re suffering from dental anxiety, get in touch with our dentists at Jolly Family Dental. We have years of experience successfully treating patients like you.
To get in touch, call (501) 758-7462 for our office at 4601 Fairway Ave, North Little Rock, AR 72116 or (501) 228-6360 for our office at 14309 Cantrell Rd Ste 6, Little Rock, AR 72223. You can also book an appointment online.