Dental Implants To Restore Missing Teeth And Oral Health
Do you have one or several missing teeth? Are you looking for a permanent dental restoration that looks and functions like natural teeth? Dental implants can be your ideal solution. Dental implants are replacement tooth roots that provide a strong foundation for permanent or removable replacement teeth. Dental implants are an ideal option for people in good general oral health who have lost a tooth or teeth due to periodontal disease, an injury, or some other reason.
What are dental implants?
Dental implants are titanium posts that are screwed into the jawbone to replace missing teeth. They serve as replacements for the roots of the teeth. Once the implant is successfully osseointegrated (fused to the jawbone), a dentist can place a dental crown, bridge, or denture on top of the implant.
Why dental implants?
Dental implants are a popular option for replacing missing teeth because they are a permanent solution, unlike dentures. Dentures often need to be replaced every few years, but dental implants can last a lifetime. Dental implants also help preserve your jawbone, whereas dentures can cause it to shrink.
The major benefits offered by dental implants include the following:
- Dental implants are fixed permanent tooth replacements.
- Gaps between teeth can create pockets around your teeth where bacteria can hide, increasing your risk of gum disease. Dental implants are a great option for eliminating these gaps and restoring your smile.
- One of the benefits of dental implants is that they preserve jawbone density and help to maintain facial structure.
- Dental implants are the only tooth replacement option that preserves your natural bone and gum tissue. This is because dental implants are permanently attached to the jaw.
- Since the implant fuses with the bone, it will be permanently in place and do not slip or move.
- Custom-made dental implants require little effort to maintain. Simply brush and floss your teeth as you normally do, and that’s all you need to do.
Am I a good candidate for dental implants?
Dental implants are an excellent option for many patients. However, not everyone is a good candidate for dental implants. You may need to meet the following criteria to be eligible for dental implants:
- Dental implants are an excellent tooth replacement option for people who are missing one or more teeth. They can be used to replace one or many teeth, and they look and function just like natural teeth.
- Dental implants are right for you if you are in good general health.
- Dental implants are right for you if you have enough bone in the jaw to hold an implant.
- Dental implants are right for you if you are not allergic to titanium.
- Dental implants are right for you if you maintain good oral hygiene.
- The best way to determine your candidacy is to have a consultation with your cosmetic dentist.
What happens during dental implant surgery?
Typically, dental implant surgery is performed under local anesthesia. The dental implant, which is a small titanium post, is inserted into the jawbone. Over a period of a few months, the implant fuses with the jawbone in a process known as osseointegration. This process stabilizes the implant, so it won’t shift or fall out. It’s essentially an artificial tooth root. Once the fusing of the implant with the jawbone is complete, an abutment is placed, and the artificial tooth or crown is placed over it to complete the restoration.
To learn more about the dental implant procedures available at Jolly Family Dental, call us at (501) 758-7462, book online, or visit 4601 Fairway Ave, North Little Rock, AR 72116. You can also find us at Jolly Family Dental – West by calling (501) 228-6360 or visiting us at 14309 Cantrell Rd Ste 6, Little Rock, AR 72223.